If you’ve just found this blog post by doing a Google search, then we bet you’re in a hurry!
We better just get to the point and give you our expert-approved skunk spray removal recipe. You can use this to get skunk smell off of your dog.
If you need skunk removal in Chicagoland, call us at: 847-464-1861
Skunk Smell Removal Recipe
The most effective skunk smell recipe requires only three ingredients:
- 1-quart hydrogen peroxide (3%)
- 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap (for example Dawn dish soap)
How to use the skunk smell removal mixture
- Clean your dog as soon as possible, the sooner the better to get the smell out.
- Mix these three ingredients together in a bowl or bucket
- Use the mixture and thoroughly rub it into your pet’s fur.
- Let sit for five minutes and rinse with tap water afterward.
- Don’t leave it on your pet for more than five minutes because it can cause bleaching.
- You may need to repeat the process more than once to get rid of the odor.
- For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.
NOTE: Do not mix ahead of time and save it for when you need it. The mixture is unstable and ineffective when stored. You should store ingredients separately and save them for when needed.
How to Get Skunk Smell Off Your Dog Video
Learn how to make and use this skunk removal recipe in just two minutes.
Skunk smell removal recipe tips
- Clean your dog as soon as possible – The longer the skunk spray is on your dog without cleaning, the harder it will be to remove.
- Make a skunk spray removal kit – If there’s a chance your dog could encounter a skunk in your area, you should keep the spray removal ingredients on hand at all times, as well as a bucket or tub for cleaning. Have your ingredients and plan of action ready. DO NOT, however, mix the ingredients ahead of time and store for later. It will lose its potency.
- Clean your dog outside if possible – Bringing the dog inside the home means bringing the smell inside the home. Dog owners have regretted bringing their dog inside and then seeing her roll around on the carpet or jump on the couch.
- Rinse with shampoo afterwords – After you have used your skunk removal recipe, wash your pet with pet shampoo and conditioner and rinse clean.